Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I want to plant queen palm seeds, any gardeners out there that could give me some information please?

OK I was walking by the hospital sidewalk at night and I saw lots of huge queen palms, I remember that my girlfriend told me that palms produce lots of seed and that I could find the seeds on the bottom of the palm in case I ever want some of them. I grab a bag and got lots of seeds like 40. When I got home I open the bag and notice that some seeds were like wrinkle because they were wet , some of them black,and others white, light brown, etc. I wanted to plant them as soon as possible so I did a quick research of the queen palm and I discover that the real seed is inside the wrinkle stuff name the fruit or something similar. I peel that wrinkle stuff away and I finally got to the seed it was brown, like a very mini coconut. Anyways I need your advise by answering, from your best of your knowlege my questions. Should I peel all of the seeds and then dry the seed ,or plant them imediately? Which seeds are the good ones? Wich soil do they need? The germination time? extra info plz.THANKS

I want to plant queen palm seeds, any gardeners out there that could give me some information please?
Queen palm is tolerant but prefers enriched sandy soils. Fertilize twice a year in spring and summer with a fertilizer that contains micronutrients, especially manganese. A deficiency of this micronutrient results in a condition called "frizzle top" which causes leaves to look frayed and torn. This condition can be corrected by spreading a 1 to 3 pounds of manganese sulphate beneath the palm (amount depends on the size of the tree) .


Light: Full sun is best but will tolerate some shade.


Moisture: It will withstand some drought but keep watered for best looks and fastest growth.


Hardiness:USDA Zones 9-11. Cold damage appears at 25°F, the plant freezes and dies at about 20° F.


Propagation: By seed. These will germinate in 3 to 4 months. An easy way to obtain plants is to dig and pot the volunteer seedlings that often appear under adult palms.
Reply:I think this site might help you


http://www.palmseeds.kansaspalms.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment